Wow! I am one lucky puppy to be immersed in some amazing leadership experiences last week. At this year’s PrimeSource Premier Club event, I had the pleasure of seeing a politician I highly respect. Former Mayor Giuliani’s leadership in New York City was a defining hero of 9/11. Calm, cool, collected and in meaningful motion even while full of emotion.When someone of this caliber with a cornucopia of wins stands in front of you sharing what it takes to be a great leader, you can’t help but listen.
The best leaders take what has happened applying them to enhance their ability to be even better in the future. After the dust settled from 9/11, Giuliani was forced to look deeper at the fourteen aspects of leadership he initially defined earlier in his career. He now saw clearly that scaling down to six leadership principles was imperative.
Think you are a leader that has what it takes? Take a long look in the mirror after you read each one of these.
6 Leadership Principles from Mayor Giuliani
- Center yourself in your BELIEFS. A steadfast leader with a clear destination can get anywhere.
- Submerge yourself in OPTIMISM. This means be the poster child for the mindset that believes there is always a solution.
- Find your COURAGE. Have the fiber to fail over and over again until you succeed.
- Be relentless in your PREPARATION. Become a master at what you do by constantly drilling every aspect of a situation.
- Define yourself by TEAMWORK. Know your weaknesses, then surround yourself with people who have that opposing strength.
- Grow your LOVE OF PEOPLE. Be there for people in every facet of their lives personally and professionally, and they will stand by you.
The best leaders are seeking out ways to evolve their skill set in order to achieve more. Take these leadership principles back to the trenches, then entrench them in your toolbox. Use them until they are sharp and shiny.