Nothing ever seems to slow down. And it’s your fault. You see some free time on the horizon, and what do you do? You fill it with things that have to get done. As a professional we often wonder if this is wise, a necessity, or something else. Frankly, it’s all of the above.
It is simple for an outsider to say, “Hey, take a break you need it.” The fact is things on your list of todos do not do themselves. So what are the options?
- Delegate Down: Many times we are so busy trying to get out of the weeds we forget that we bought a weed wacker. You hired a team to help, so put them to work.
- Prioritize Up: Take one thing at a time, but definitely start with what matters most. This prioritization tool helps.
- Schedule Smart: Plot out all you need to get done your day, but also schedule in breaks so you can relax, regroup, and recharge. Go for a quick walk; the brain benefits are worth it.
- Go Fishing: With technology today, the opportunity to work ceaselessly is too apparent. The world won’t end if you take a breath. Put the phone down. Decide you are good with taking a moment, and let everyone know you are doing it.
- Power Thru: Sometimes you just have to laser focus attacking with extreme zealous all that is in front of you. That second wind will come. This can produce moments of genius.
You’ll be most effective if you use more than one of these “5 Ways not to Spread Yourself Too Thin” at the same time. Mix and match as the spirit moves you. Equally employ your brain and gut to determine what is needed. Be flexibile and not too hard on yourself.
So the next time you find yourself day dreaming about your next moment of freedom or so anxious you can hardly breath, take some these organization resources out of your professional toolkit.
Side note: These tools are great models for Strategic Planning too.