If you are still sitting there trying to address these questions then chances are your current position on your business goals overall is blurry. This is mostly because the goals you set at the beginning of the year had one or more of the following issues:
- MOTIVATION> You weren’t that committed or passionate about the goals you set in the first place.
- PLANNING> You lacked a clear-cut plan to execute your goals, which is probably means you didn’t write your goals even down increasing your chance of success.
- SUPPORT> Your team had no buy-in acting as bobble heads who agreed with the direction but had no plan on acting on the plan—you didn’t socialize the plan effectively.
- UNREALISTIC> You are overwhelmed into paralysis, because you picked too many or too big of goals.
- ABILITY> You lack the knowledge or skills in order to make your goals a reality.
- EMPOWERMENT> You did not enable your team to accomplish the goals set in place, meaning you clearly set the goal line, put in the appropriate guardrails, and be there to remove any barriers then let them go.
- OVERSIGHT> You have not been managing your team to your plan by setting up regular pulse checks to ensure you are on track with time to pivot if needed. (Inspect what you expect.)
- DETAIL> Your goals lacked S.M.A.R.T. qualities. (Specific. Measureable. Achievable. Realistic. Timely.)
- INSPIRATION> You weren’t stretched to assert yourself to your goals thinking they were no brainers and easy to achieve. (Demanding goals literally demand focus.)
- ALIGNMENT> You failed to align the right resources to accomplish your goal.
- DEDICATION> You are so buried in the distractions of day-to-day activities you are not making your goals part of your day.
- PROCRASTINATION> You feel that there is plenty of time to go after your goals starting tomorrow.
- FEAR> You deep down have a fear of failure, which is causing you to sabotage your efforts without even knowing it (F.alse E.vidence A.ppearing R.eal)
- EXECUTION> You are so buried in over analyzing every little aspect of “what to do” you are trapped in the minutia and plainly “not doing.”
- RESILIENCE> Your inability to overcome obstacles by not being a solutions expert, while believing any mistake is an insurmountable failure.
Studies show that the percentage of people who actually attain their goals is in the single digits. Now add in the complexity of pushing a business to do the same. As a business leader your primary goal is to lead the company to hit its goals. How you do that…
SOLUTION: Know your limitations and address each and every one of them head on.
*Image attribute: Scott Maxwell (image altered)